Welcome to our several part series where we walk you through how to make sure your child is prepared for kindergarten. If you missed part 1, you can get it here.
Have you ever sat and watched a group of preschoolers playing? Or listened to the stories they tell each other? It’s both heart-melting and hilarious to listen to children play together. Their imagination and creativity seems endless.
As a preschool teacher, I always wanted to take children’s imagination, creativity, and independence and channel it towards activities that help prepare them for kindergarten. The first building block I use is preschool assessments.
We’re all familiar with assessments. We’ve all had to take them growing up from entering kindergarten to taking our college entrance exams. Like me, you probably have vivid memories of assessment days…memories which may be days filled with seemingly endless questions upon boring questions.
We don’t do boring! Learning should be FUN and interactive! I’ll walk you through how to easily assess children while making it fun, how to interpret the results, and next steps.
Why are preschool assessments so important?
- They allow us to help prepare children for kindergarten.
- We can address each child’s individual needs. For example, if you have a child who is struggling with letter identification, you can provide additional materials to help them. The same would be true for children who are learning quickly and may be ready for more advanced material, such as sight words.
- They allow us to identify if a child may be special needs or need intervention.
- We can plan instruction for children individually and as a group.
- We can alter our program based on the results. For example, if a child is still struggling with letter sounds you have already covered, you can go back and reteach and reinforce those skills.
How to get started with preschool assessments
Throughout the series, we’ll go through all 6 sections of the assessment separately.
- Social and Emotional Standards
- Reading Standards
- Writing Standards
- Speaking and Listening Standards
- Mathematics Standards
- Physical Health and Development Standards
Start preparing your child or class for kindergarten today! Check out all our fun learning activities at the Pre-K Complete store at Teachers Pay Teachers! We know you’ll love them!