We’re all about making learning fun and hands-on! We like to incorporate sensory objects as much as possible to engage children and build their long-term memory. Why not make cupcakes with 3 simple ingredients when teaching the letter C! That’s right! 3 ingredients! You probably already have these ingredients in your home. Learn how to make our super FUN Silky Sensory Play Dough!
Are you excited and ready to learn how to make this silky sensory play dough?
It’s really quick and easy! We simply used cornstarch, conditioner, and food coloring. That’s it! AMAZING, right?
We didn’t come up with this recipe on our own. There are several sites out there that use conditioner and corn starch to make silky play dough. We just adapted it to fit our needs and to help us teach preschoolers about the letter C. Here’s how you can make these play cupcakes:
Gather the following items:
- conditioner – the cheaper the better (as you can see from the picture above we used Suave – yep it’s less than $1.00 per bottle)
- corn starch
- food coloring – we used the Wilton’s gel kind, but liquid food coloring would also work
- bowl, spoon, 1 cup measuring cup, 1/2 cup measuring cup
- play cupcake pan and cookie cutters
- The ratio for our cupcake dough is 2:1. Measure 2 cups of conditioner and 1 cup of corn starch into your bowl and mix together until it forms a smooth ball. You may need to add more conditioner if your dough isn’t coming together. Keep mixing and it will form a ball!
- Separate your dough into as many balls as you have food coloring. We wanted to have white, purple, and teal dough so we made three separate balls. Add one of the dough balls to your bowl and add in your food coloring until it’s your desired color.
- Continue to color the dough until all of your dough balls are colored. Look how awesome our 3 colors turned out!
- Set out a play cupcake pan, cookie cutters and some play dishes. Show your preschoolers how to make a cupcake by first adding dough into the cupcake tin. Then add some “frosting” on top and any designs you cut out with your cookie cutters.
- Set your preschoolers loose and watch their creativity flow! It’s fun to see the different designs they make with the cupcakes.
So simple and yet so fun! You can store this silky sensory play dough in baggies or plastic wrap and it’ll keep for several weeks. Perfect for more sensory play!
Don't miss out on our AMAZING, FUN hands-on learning materials at our Pre-K Complete store at Teachers Pay Teachers. Prepare your child for kindergarten TODAY!